REALTOR® of the Year: Local & State Programs
The Local REALTOR® of the Year (ROTY) program is designed to recognize a REALTOR® member of each Local Association/Board in Oregon who has provided outstanding service to the REALTOR® organizations (local, state and national), their profession, and their community primarily during the past 18 months.
Each Local Association/Board REALTOR® of the Year may become a candidate for State REALTOR® of the Year recognition when the individual's name is submitted to the Association along with the required applicant information.
The Oregon Association of REALTORS® State REALTOR® of the Year (ROTY) program is designed to recognize a REALTOR® member from one of the local associations/boards in Oregon who has provided outstanding service to all REALTOR® organizations (local, state and national), their profession and their community, primarily during the past 5-7 years.
The Purposes of the ROTY Program
- To recognize and reward deserving REALTOR® members for efforts and work on behalf of their fellow REALTORS®, their profession, and their community;
- To communicate to the general public, by these outstanding examples, the professionalism of REALTORS® and the outstanding work they do for their clients, customers, industry, and community;
- To exemplify the qualifications, involvement, and contributions of those REALTORS® required to be considered for leadership positions in organized real estate; and
- To foster a spirit of competition among those REALTORS® who make outstanding contributions to their REALTOR® organizations, the profession, and the community in which they live.
- The Local Board/Association President should appoint a ROTY Selection Committee composed of three to five active Board/Association members with the immediate past ROTY or another past ROTY recipient serving as chairman. The Committee should inform the members of the Board/Association of the program and the selection criteria. Recommendations for the Committee's consideration should be solicited.
- The name of the Board/Association ROTY should be kept confidential until the presentation at the special awards ceremony. An appropriate plaque or trophy may be given. The selection must be made by June 30 if the recipient is to be recommended for consideration at the state level for the current year.
- After the award is given, the information should be sent to the Oregon Association of REALTORS®. If the information is submitted to the Association office prior to the announcement, the information will be kept confidential until an announcement is made (please specify announcement date). The nomination of the Board/Association REALTOR® of the Year as a candidate for State Association REALTOR® of the Year must have the signature of the Board/Association President and Executive Officer at the bottom of the required data form when it is submitted.
The OAR REALTOR® of the Year Committee recommends that Local Boards/Associations utilize the following guidelines for selection of their local ROTY:
- REALTOR® SPIRIT (25%) Faithfulness and adherence to the principles of organized real estate, real estate laws and regulations, Board/Association bylaws and the National Association of REALTORS® Code of Ethics; time and effort expended in furthering principles of good real estate practices in their own business and among other real estate brokers, the press and the general public; attainment of professional designations, dedication to RPAC investments and member leadership with RPAC culture; etc.
- ACTIVITY IN LOCAL BOARD/ASSOCIATION (25%) Local Board/Association offices held; committee work; special assignments; seminar and educational attendance or teaching; membership and offices held in state chapters of NAR institutes, societies and councils; etc.
- ACTIVITY IN COMMUNITY AFFAIRS (20%) Local, state, and national participation in civic and service clubs and charitable activities; participation on political/governmental commissions and committees; fraternal and religious involvement; etc.
- ACTIVITY IN STATE ASSOCIATION (15%) State association offices and leadership positions held; committee work; attendance and participation at state conventions, directors meetings, and education programs; etc.
- BUSINESS ACCOMPLISHMENTS (10%) Public recognition of business conduct and achievements; service to clients and customers; imaginative and creative advertising programs; rehabilitation work; land utilization; etc.
- ACTIVITY IN NATIONAL ASSOCIATION (5%) National offices and leadership positions held; committee work; membership and work in NAR institutes, societies, and councils; attendance at National conventions and business meetings; etc.
Distinguished Service Award (DSA) Program
The Oregon Association of REALTORS® Distinguished Service Award was established in 1993 to recognize outstanding service and contributions to the Association over a period of at least 10 years. Criteria for the award includes service in areas such as committee membership, committee leadership, and service as a state director, officer or NAR director.
Since the Award's inception, 26 Oregon REALTORS® have received it. Up to two members can be honored in any given year, but there is no requirement that the award be presented annually. The DSA traditionally is presented at the Association's spring governance meetings.
The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) supplements the REALTOR® of the Year Award and does not replace or compete with it. The REALTOR® of the Year Award (ROTY) remains the highest single honor and recognition of achievement for service to the National Association of REALTORS®, the Oregon Association of REALTORS®, and Local Boards/Associations, and, in addition, business accomplishments, REALTOR®, spirit and community service are also considered.
The DSA recognizes members for their extended (lifetime) outstanding contributions and service to the Oregon Association of REALTORS®. Other considerations and criteria used for the ROTY are not applicable. The Distinguished Service Award serves to recognize exemplary dedication and volunteer leadership to Oregon REALTORS®, both at state and local levels. The implementation of the DSA award compliments the annual ROTY award, serving a separate distinct purpose, and provides for more volunteer recognition. A recipient of the ROTY award may not be considered for the Distinguished Service Award until 5 years have elapsed from their receipt of the ROTY award.
See past Distinguished Service Award Recipients - (1994 - 2014)
The Selection Criteria
- A minimum of 10 years of outstanding service and contribution to the Oregon Association of REALTORS® in areas such as:
- Key/Committee/Forum Membership
- Key/Committee/Forum Leadership
- Service as a State Director
- Service as an Officer
- Service as an NAR Director
- Local Board/Association service
- Business accomplishments, REALTOR®, spirit and community service
- The award can be given to no more than two individuals per year, but need not be given every year.
- No recipient of the ROTY award may be eligible for the Distinguished Service Award until 5 years have elapsed from his or her receipt of the ROTY award.
- Recipient(s) recommendations are made by the REALTOR® of the Year Committee, subject to the approval of the OAR President.
- The award(s) are given during the Oregon REALTORS® Spring Governance Meetings.
Life Service Award Program
The Oregon Association of REALTORS® Life Service Award is bestowed on those in our organization who have provided notable service to the real estate profession, to both the local and state association, and to their community.
Life Service Award Members shall enjoy all the rights and privileges, and be subject to all the obligations, of Oregon REALTOR® members. Life Service Award Recipients receive a dues waiver after the member has reached the age of sixty-five (65) or has experienced a health disability.
- Must have a minimum of twenty-five (25) cumulative years of REALTOR® experience
- Be at least sixty-five (65) years old or have experienced a permanent health disability
- Performed notable service for the real estate profession, the community, and the Oregon Association of REALTORS®
- To Receive the Award:
- Meet all of the outlined qualifications
- Complete the Life Service Award Application
- Submit application and current resume to the Executive Assistant at the Oregon Association of REALTORS®
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: PO Box 351 Salem, OR 97308
- Once materials have been received and verified they will be passed along to the Executive Committee for review at its next meeting.
- You will be notified of the outcome by email.